Final Crisis #3 ( DC / Morrison / Jones )
“Batman missing in action! Superman immobilized! Green Lantern on trial for his life!
A shadow is falling across Earth’s super heroes — and now it’s Wonder Woman’s turn to face the Evil Gods!
What bizarre warning from beyond awaits Frankenstein, The Question and the agents of S.H.A.D.E. in the shadows of the Dark Side Club? What grim fate lies in store for The Human Flame? What happens when the Anti-Life Equation hits the internet? Can the Fastest Men Alive outrun The Black Racer — Death himself? And who are the Justifiers?
The answers are all here as the unstoppable rise of evil continues in FINAL CRISIS #3 by Grant Morrison and J.G. Jones.”
Here we are on issue #3 of the big DC event. I don’t think you can call Final Crisis and Secret Invasion “summer crossover” anymore. Sure they start in the summer, but these things don’t tend to end until December or January anymore. Sometimes even later when you figure in delays and late issues. My overall opinion of this issue was positive, but I do have one complaint. DC has always made it so that readers never had to read all the other crossover issues to understand the main story. As seen with the Countdown minis, I really didn’t need to read Lord Havoc and Arena to understand what was happening. In Final Crisis #3 I felt lost on more than a few pages. Like why is Frankenstein’s Monster working with the police? Does everyone know Rene Montoya is The Question? Who’s the German girl? In the superhero draft, why is Animal Man there, isn’t he dead? When did Mary Marvel become a dominatrix servant of Granny Goodness?
Maybe I’m not supposed to know the answers to these questions yet, it just seems like Grant Morrison wrote it like I should know.
Here is lowdown on Final Crisis #3
– Frankenstein’s Monster is working a case where he finds a magic pixel finger writing “Know Evil”
– A German speaking metahuman, wearing the “Dark Son” Superman symbol crashes on Earth and has had the tar beat out of her, and says “”
– Rene Montoya is arrested
– The black kid we’ve been following (whom is of some big importance I’m sure) get fired from flipping burgers because he’s asking unsettling questions about gravitron impacts.
– Jay informs Iris that Barry Allen is alive; we see the murder of Orion.
– Barry and Wally can outrun death.
– We see the Legion of Doom’s swamp fortress from Super Friends!
– F-Level villain The Human Flame becomes Apocalypse’s bitch.
– Lois Lane is in critical condition and Superman’s powers are the only thing keeping her alive, Clark may have has to make a deal (with the devil?) to save his wife.
– Hal Jordan is arrested buy the Alpha Lanterns, thus keeping one of DC most powerful heroes off world when the feces hits the rotating oscillator.
– Scott Allen enacts Article X (Superhuman draft).
– Mary Marvel is now a different kind of hot!
– Wonder Woman becomes the carrier.
– Mokkari sends the anti-life equation to everyone on the planet
– The world as we know it ends.
Grade: B+ (missed the A because of the confusing parts)